Sandar-Vestri was built in 1901 and used to stand at Krókatún 4. It was inhabited until 1995 and always by working class families. The house consists of a stone-built cellar, ground floor with a windowed attic and Mansard roof. This type of roof was common in Akranes before and around the end of the 19th century. An extension, which was used for building boats and as storage, was soon added to the house. Sandar has always belonged to the same family and is virtually unchanged from when it was built. The Akranes Folk Museum acquired Sandar in 1996 and opened it to visitors in 2012.

Pictures inside the house