Neðri-Sýrupartur is the oldest preserved timber house in Akranes. It was built in 1875 and used to be situated in the so-called Partar in the older part of Akranes. Its windows had more glass than was usual at the time so the house was promptly named „The Glass Palace“ being so much grander than the little turf farms nearby. At its most populous twenty people lived together in the house. Thor Jensen, a well-known entrepreneur, lived there with his family towards the close of the 19th century. Guðmundur P. Bjarnason gave the house to the Akranes Folk Museum in 1989 after which it was renovated and then opened to visitors in 2003.

Pictures inside the house